As Alice Cooper said, "SChool's out for Summer." But that won't stop me from asking ten questions that are on my mind.
1. Is there a better story in baseball this year than the Washington Nationals leading the NL East one-third of the way into the season? This is the latest a Washington-based team has been at the top of the standings since 1933.
2. How would you like to be 28-26 and realize your team is in last place, as is the case with the Florida Marlins? The Fish would be no worse than third in all of the other divisions.
3. Did anyone out there have a Pick Six ticket with the Washington Nationals, St. Louis Cardinals, San Diego Padres, Baltimore Orioles, Chicago White Sox, and Texas Rangers? Me neither.
4. Anybody else so engrossed in the NCAA Playoffs unaware that the Philadelphia Phillies are the hottest team in baseball? The Phillies have won six in a row and nine out of the last ten.
5. How many of you know what these nine schools--Arizona State, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oregon State, and Tennessee--have in common?
6. Was there a more clutch performer than Sergio Pedroza this weekend? The Cal State Fullerton right fielder hit a two-run home run in the top of the ninth to give the defending College World Series champions the lead then made a diving catch near the right-field line with the bases loaded to end the game as the Titans eliminated Missouri on Sunday afternoon. Pedroza was two for three with another HR and three more RBI in the game in progress last night vs. Arizona.
7. Will any of the pitchers who started on Friday draw the same assignment on Monday in the finals of the Regionals? USC's Jack Spradlin is the best bet but there may be others as well.
8. Speaking of SC, did you think I made a typo in the opening sentence above?
9. If you were in charge of a major-league team's draft on Tuesday, would you select a Scott Boras client in the first round?
10. What is the over-under (month and year) on Jered Weaver's MLB debut?
Good luck. Well, I can't salute ya. Can't even find a flag. If that don't suit ya, that's a drag. School's out for summer, except for those nine teams listed above. They all won their Regionals and will be joined by seven more on Monday to form next weekend's Super Regionals.
* * * * *
Be sure to check back tomorrow for live coverage of the MLB Draft.